Tiny Trekkers is a once a week drop off program for ages 3 – 5. Preschoolers will explore our 450 acre preserve through hands-on experiences out in nature. This program runs from 9 – 11 a.m. on Tuesday mornings. Our Tiny Trekkers group has very limited spaces available. Registration is offered by the month only, single program registrations are not permitted. Children must be able to use the restrooms independently.
- Seeds, Sprouts, and Stems: September 6th, 13th, 20th, and 27th.
- Fall: October 4th, 11th, 18th, and 25th.
- Animal Superpowers: November 1st, 8th, 15th, and 22nd (no meeting on the 29th).
- Backyard Wildlife: December 6th and 13th (no meeting on the 20th and 27th)
Tiny Trekkers is $60/month for non-members, and $50/month for TNI members. December is prorated at $30 for non-members and $20 for members due to the holidays. A morning snack is also included in the program fee. Tiny Trekkers meet 4x a month, except for December. Registration is by the month.
Why send your child to Tiny Trekkers at The Nature Institute?
- Our primary Tiny Trekkers staff include our Director of Education, Lauren Scull, and our Environmental Educator, Dave Schiber. Both hold years of experience in education and operate our education department throughout the year. All staff and volunteers are background checked.
- Our small group size ensures a close knit community between preschool-aged children.
- This unique program will give your child an opportunity to get out in nature weekly and form an attachment to the natural world! This program also allows preschoolers to gain independence as they get ready for full-time preschool and kindergarten programs.
What will my child be doing during this program?
Each session will begin with group time to check in about the weather, our topic for the day, and a general rundown of what we’ll be doing for the morning. Activities will coordinate with the month’s theme and may include art, games, activities, hikes, experiments, and nature exploration. We will stomp through waterfalls, build dams on creeks to test cause and effect, search for evidence of animals, and learn about nature! We will end our session with free play at our Nature Explore classroom. Most, if not all, of the program will be spent outside.
Is this program year round?
We offer 2 sessions a year. Our fall session runs from September to December, and our spring session runs from March to May. We do not offer a winter session in January and February – this allows us time to plan for our summer camp season, as well as work on new programming for the following year. You do not have to sign up for the full session – registration is by the month.
What are the eligibility requirements?
Your child must be between the ages of 3 – 5. All children must be potty trained and able to independently use the restroom.
How do I register?
You can register for this program through our website or by calling our Main Office at (618) 466-9930. After registering, you’ll need to fill out a health form for your child. This health form is completely separate from our summer camp health forms. If your child attended 2022 summer camp, you’ll still need to fill out a year round health form.
Is there a waitlist available?
Once all of our spots have been filled, you can call our Main Office at (618) 466-9930 to be added to the waitlist.
After registering for program fill out the medical form which can be found below. The form will take you roughly 20 minutes to complete and you will not be able to save and return to it. If you are unable to finish the form right now, you can return to this page to fill it out later. If you have multiple children signed up for a program you will have to fill out a separate form for each child.
Please be sure to complete the medical form at least one week before the program starts.
The information asked for in the medical form helps TNI educator to ensure the health and safety of your child and sets the program up for success. Thank you for cooperation.